Monday, April 13, 2009

#103

Here is something quite rare - and worthy of three photos in one post!

More than 10 years ago, I planted a flower garden behind the house. Yeti suggested I include a small spiky plant he'd been growing in a pot for about 5 years. He thought it was a Gymea Lily, but not the normal variety.

I planted it - and it grew - and grew - and grew - until it reached the heights you can see below, totally dominating the garden with leaves more than 2 metres in length (I parked Munchkin and the pram nearby to give you some sense of scale.)


It was a good home for frogs, but I didn't think much more of it, except to occasionally curse it for spiking me or taking up too much room. Imagine my surprise and excitement this year when two humungous flower spikes rose from its depths to tower among the gum trees!





Worth the wait, don't you think?

1 comment:

Steff said...

not a fan of spiky plants but thats a pretty flower